Beginning next week, Fallout 4’s Update 1.9 on PlayStation 4 adds support for the power of the PlayStation 4 Pro console. The update provides enhanced lighting and graphic features, including:
- Native 1440p resolution
- Enhanced draw distance for trees, grass, objects and NPCs
- Enhanced God-ray effects
To activate the improvements in the PS4 Pro update, load up Fallout 4 and download the latest title update when it becomes available.
Why Should Current PS4 Owners Upgrade?
If you don't know a PS 4 from a PS4 Pro, here's the difference the Pro makes:
- Games will run faster and look better (4K). Right now you will not see a notable difference with the current games but games that have a ‘Pro’ mode will see improved resolution specifically 4K mode and overall texture/effects. There were 30 games with Pro Mode at the launch and another 15 by the end of 2016.
- More potential on the PSVR. 60fps or greater is ideal for VR games to run and that is very challenging for the current and aging PS4 hardware.
- More/upgraded ports. It includes an extra USB 3.0 port which is handy especially if you are using a Playstation VR. It also includes an optical audio output which the original PS4 has but the slim-version doesn’t. The HDMI port has been upgraded from 1.4 to 2.0. This means 4K video can be as high as 50 frames per second (FPS) and 60 fps versus 24fps in 1.4.
- Faster Wi-Fi / Bluetooth connection. For those who own the original PS4; both the PS4 Slim and Pro have upgraded to 802.11ac and the Bluetooth from 2.1 to 4.0.
Why Non PS4 Owners Should Think About Upgrading
- Competitively priced. Currently the PS4 Slim with 500GB retails for $300 compared to the PS4 Pro at $400. Now with that said; you will probably see more sales of PS4 Slim bundles.
- Future-proofing. For those who may skip a generation; you may keep your system a bit longer so as more games support 4K; PS4 will have greater longevity than the PS4 obviously.